Many people often skip this important step when setting up their website or blog. A pretty website is great but it means nothing if you cant get traffic to it. Today I will show you get more traffic to your website or blog by submitting your sitemap to search engines.
What is a Sitemap and Why Do You Need It?
Sitemaps are XML (extensible markup language) files that contain a list of important pages of your website. It helps search engines to navigate your site and index content that you want to rank.
Without a Sitemap, it would be impossible for your website or blog to be found on Google, Bing and other search engines. There are a few simple steps involved in submitting a sitemap to search engines
How to Install the Yoast SEO Plugin
On the WordPress, dashboard go to Plugins> Add New
Search “Yoast Seo” and click Install.
Once the Plugin is installed click Activate.
Once activated the Yoast SEO Plugin will appear on the left-hand side of the page.
Click on it and a drop-down tab will appear. Click General and select Features on the following page
Creating The Sitemap
Yoast SEO makes it super easy to get a sitemap because it automatically generates one for you. In a few steps, I’ll show you how to get more traffic to your website or blog.
Once you’re on the Features Page just make sure that XML Sitemap is toggled to On and you’re good to go.
Also, make sure that the rest of the features are on to get the most use out of this plugin. Yoast SEO really helps to get more traffic to your website if you utilize it properly.
Verifying The Sitemap
After you have activated the plugin and toggled on all the necessary features, we want to verify that the sitemap has been created.
To do this simply add sitemap_index.xml at the end of your domain address.
It should look like this – yourdomain.com/sitemap_index.xml
Type this into your browser and you should have a page that looks like this>
Now that your XML sitemap is ready, you’ll have to submit it to search engines.
Submitting the Sitemap to Google
Next, you will need to submit the sitemap to Google.
To do this you must have a Google Console account.
- Go to search.google.com/search-console
- Click start now and it will prompt you to claim a property. This is just claiming your website.
- Follow the necessary steps to claim your website.
- Once you have claimed your site you can now go in and add your sitemap.
- On the left-hand side of the Google console dashboard, you will see Add New Sitemap, click that button and then you will be able to add the sitemap link there.
- And that’s it, you just submitted your sitemap to Google. It will now know where to look for your content and index them.
Submitting the Sitemap to Bing
- Log into the Bing Webmaster Tool to add your sitemap.
If you don’t already have an account simply create a new one.
- From the dashboard navigate to My Sites and click Add New.
- Enter the URL of your website or blog. It will then take you to a new page where you can enter the sitemap link you created earlier.
- Enter your sitemap and select Save.
- Your sitemap will now be stored in Bing.
Search for your website or blog on Google and Bing 5 times a day. This will help your website quickly rank higher in search results.
Also, search for keywords that you use on your pages to see if you can rank higher for those as well. So if you used the keyword banana bread recipe, start searching banana bread recipe and see if your website starts to rank for that keyword.
Yay! 🥳 Your website is now searchable on Google and Bing.
I hope that you found this post helpful and if you have any questions leave them in the comments. Make sure to check out this post to learn more about Google Analytics.